In 1985 a scholarship fund was set up for church members who were furthering their education beyond high school. Named for its founding member, the Harris fund has given financial aid to 66 students since its inception. Funded by donations, income is generated by investments overseen by the treasurer. Eligibility is determined by the level of involvement in church functions which includes attendance at worship services, being active in youth programs and other church sponsored events. Since the scholarships are not limited to youth, adults may serve on committees, choirs, UMW/UMM, and various activities which are ongoing in this active church. Awards are distributed at a service in mid June.
Download the application for the Harris Scholarship.
An additional fund was initiated by the son and daughter of long time members in their memory. Awards were given out for three years based on an essay using the topic of how and why they make a difference referencing their past, present and future. Those who received this award are remarkable in their achievements and future plans.
In 2010 a camp scholarship fund was offered for youth attending a summer church camp. Enthusiasm is a mild word describing the mood of the children on their return.
Gazebo at Quinipet Camp & Retreat Center, Shelter Island, NY
One of the children in our congregation wrote the following about his time at Camp Quinipet: “I love it there. It is one of my favorite places.”
You can provide your child with a similar experience. Fairfield Grace offers camperships to three New York Annual Conference United Methodist camps:
- Quinipet Camp & Retreat Center, Shelter Island, NY www.quinipet.org
- Epworth Camp and Retreat Center, High Falls, NY www.epworthcenter.com
- Kingswood Camp and Retreat Center, Hancock, NY
Key Campership Details for 2013
- Campership forms must be completed and returned to Judy Vindheim by April 1, 2013.
- Camperships are for children who are active in the church and are involved in one or more of the following: Sunday School, Youth Choir, Youth Group and/or other church functions.
- The camps are already accepting applications. Please review each camp website and determine which camp is the best fit for you and your child.
- The Scholarship Committee will review all applications and determine campership awards by April 14, 2013. Financial awards will be sent directly to the camp in the name of the campership recipient.
- Please contact Judy Vindheim if you have any questions: email@example.com or (203)255-2143.
Download the application for the Camp Scholarship.